acebook




One night the Prophet (SAW) stood in the Kaaba, lost in thoughts. Presently he raised his hands and turned his eyes heavenward. “Lord!” he prayed, “make Islam strong with either of the two men, Amr bin Hisham or Umar bin Khattaab.” The prayer was instantly granted. Allah chose Omar to serve Islam. Amr bin Hisham was to die as Abu. But Umar (RA) was to become a great pillar of strength for Islam. Umar (RA) was twenty seven when the Prophet (SAW) began his mission. Young Umar was one of those who did not care to listen to the message of Islam. He was for the old way of life. As years went by, Islam made a slow headway. This made Umar angry. Do what the Meccan chiefs might, people who once went over to Islam never went back to their old faith. One of Umar’s own maid-servants became a Muslim. He beat her as much as he could, but she would not give up the new faith.  At last in the sixth year of the Mission, a number of Muslims left for Abyssinia. This made Umar boil with rage. “Here is a man,” he thought to himself “who has split the people. People lived smoothly enough. He appeared on the scene He has torn son from father and brother from brother. Now his followers are running away to another land. Surely Muhammed is the cause of all trouble. I must slay him and put an end to the trouble.”  With this resolve Umar drew his sword and set out to kill the Holy Prophet. On the way he met a friend who asked him why he looked so upset. Umar told him what he was going to do. “You better take care of your own kin first,” said the friend, “Your sister and her husband have gone over to Islam.”  These words changed the direction of Umar’s anger. He went straight to the house of his sister, Fatima. He knocked at the door. Someone was reciting the Quran inside. Fatima was terrified when she heard Umar’s voice. She hid the portion of the Quran she was reading and opened the door.  ”What was it that you were reciting just now?” Umar demanded.  ”Oh nothing,” said his sister.  ”Why nothing?” he shouted in rage.  ”I have heard it alright. I know you both have accepted Muhammed’s faith.”  Saying this, he began to beat his brother-in-law, Saeed. Fatima ran to his help and got a blow to the head. The head began to bleed. This made the couple bold. “Yes, we have become Muslims,” they shouted at Umar. “Do what you will.”  The sight of his bleeding sister deeply moved Umar. Fatima was such a loving sister! Surely there must be some great truth in the Quran which had won her innocent heart. “Would you let me have a look at the Quran?” said Umar.  Fatima handed him the few pages of the book she had. Umar sat down to study the pages. Soon his face changed. His anger cooled down. The fear of Allah gripped his heart. He wept and declared, “Surely this is the word of Allah. I bear witness that Muhammed (SAW) is the Messenger of Allah.”  Umar was again on his way to the place of the Prophet (SAW). But he was not a changed man. He was not going to slay him but to embrace his faith. The Prophet (SAW) was sitting in the company of some men. He saw Umar coming and asked, “Umar, what brings you here?”  ”O Prophet of Allah!” replied Umar, “I have come to embrace Islam.” Great was the joy of the Prophet (SAW) and his followers. Loud shouts of “Allah is Great” rented the air of Mecca. Soon everyone knew that Umar (RA) was no longer an enemy of Islam. It was a great day for Islam because one of its bitterest enemies had become its staunch follower.  Umar (RA) becoming a Muslim made a difference for Islam. The Muslims had lived in constant fear of the non-believers. Some of them had not even made their faith known to the people. They could not say their prayers publicly. All this changed when Umar (RA) became a Muslim.  The first thing Umar (RA) did was to call together the chiefs of Mecca. Before this gathering he declared himself a follower of Islam. They started at him in silence. No one had the courage to utter a word of reproach. Umar (RA) next requested the Prophet (SAW) to say prayers in the Kaaba. He himself led a party of Muslims to that place. A second party was led by Hamza. When all had gathered, they said their prayers in congregation. The Prophet (SAW) led the prayer. This was the first prayer of its kind said in the Kaaba.  When migration to Medina started, the same thing happened again. Most of the Muslims left Mecca silently and secretly, Umar (RA) would not do so. He put on his arms. Then he went to the Kaaba and said his prayer. The chiefs of Mecca looked at him in silence. After the prayer, he shouted out to them, “I am leaving for Medina. If anyone wants to stop me let him meet me across the valley. His mother shall certainly have to weep for him in sorrow.”  Despite this challenge, no Meccan would dare to stop Umar (RA). These things earned for Umar (RA) the title of “Al-Farooq” (Farooq is the one who makes a difference) Umar (RA) acceptance of Islam had made a big difference for Islam and Muslims. Umar (RA) stood by the side of the Prophet (SAW) in all battles and expeditions. Great was his love for Allah and His Apostle (SAW). He never allowed any blood ties or friendship to stand in the way of this love. The death of the Prophet (SAW) was a shock to Umar (RA). He could not believe it, so much so that he drew his sword and swore that he would cut off the head of the man who said the Messenger of Allah (SAW) was dead. He was overwhelmed with grief. Life without the Prophet (SAW) was unthinkable, he thought. And if the Prophet (SAW) was really no more, as people said, what was going to happen to Islam and the Muslims? These dark thoughts blotted out all reason from Umar (RA) head. Not till Abu Bakr (RA) had reminded him of the clear verdict of the Quran on the point did he come to himself. Abu Bakr (RA), during his caliphate, depended on Umar (RA) for advice. That was because the Master, in his life-time, gave great weight to what Umar (RA) said.

Caliph Umar (RA) inaugural speech
After the assumption of office as the second Caliph, Umar (RA) soon realized that he was more feared than loved. Abu Bakr (RA), his predecessor, was tender and soft hearted. Whenever he appeared in the streets of Medina, the children ran to him saying “Father, Father.”  On the occasion of the first Friday prayer after his assumption of office as Caliph, Umar (RA) addressed the faithful assembled in the mosque of the Prophet (SAW) in the following terms:  “Brethren, it has come to my notice that the people are afraid of me. They say when the Prophet (SAW) was alive, Umar was harsh to us. During the caliphate of Abu Bakr (RA), Umar was hard and stern. Now that he has become the Caliph himself, Allah knows how hard he will be. Whoever has said this is not wrong in his assessment. The truth of the matter is that I was the slave and servant of the Prophet (SAW). The Prophet (SAW) was most kind hearted, liberal and generous. In contrast I was hard and harsh. Sometimes he ignored my point of view. There were occasions when he agreed with me. Till the death of the Prophet (SAW) that remained the situation between him and me. Thank Allah; the Prophet (SAW) was pleased with me. Though the Prophet (SAW) sometimes accepted my advice, and sometimes turned it down, yet he approved of my conduct. During the caliphate of Abu Bakr (RA) my role remained the same. Abu Bakr (RA) was most soft hearted and tender. It was my business to bring the other side of the picture to his notice. He always took my point of view into consideration, but the ultimate decision lay with him. Sometimes he agreed with me, and I acted as his agent to enforce a decision which appeared to be harsh. Sometimes he did not agree with me, and I had to remain quiet. I am happy that throughout the period of his office, Abu Bakr (RA) approved of my conduct, and ultimately nominated me as his successor, although I did not covet the office. Now that the entire responsibility has come to vest in me, know you brethren that you will feel a change in me. I will no longer be hard and stern in all matters. For those who practice tyranny and deprive others of their rights, I will be harsh and stern, but for those who follow the law, and are devoted to religion, I will be most soft and tender. I will not tolerate any person make any excess. He who commits any tyranny, him I will sternly call to account. I will be harsh and stern against the aggressor, but I will be a pillar of strength for the weak and the meek. They will find in me their best friend. Friends you have some rights on me, and I tell you of these rights, so that you may be in a position to call me to account. These rights are:Firstly: That I should not exact any tax or other levy from you not authorized by law.Secondly: That whatever taxes are lawfully realized from you are spent in your best interests.Thirdly: It is incumbent on me that I should protect the frontiers of your land.Fourthly: It is my duty to promote your prosperity and look after your interests.Fifthly: It is my obligation to do justice. O servants of Allah, continue to fear Allah. Suppress your selfish motives and work for the solidarity of the Muslims as a whole. In running the State, you are my partners. Help me with your sound advice. If I follow the right path laid down by Allah and His Prophet (SAW) follow me. If I deviate, correct me. Strengthen me with your advice and suggestions. Let us pray for the glory of Islam.”


Umar (RA) last days
There lived in Medina a Persian slave, Abu Lolo Firoz by name. One day, he came to the Caliph and said, “My master squeezes too heavy a tax out of me. Please get it reduced.” “How much is the tax?” asked Umar (RA).  ”Two dirham’s a day,” replied the slave. “And what skills do you posses?” was the next question of the Caliph. “I am a carpenter, a painter, and a black-smith,” Firoz said.  ”Then the tax is by no means too heavy,” the Caliph remarked. “A person with your skills can easy pay this tax and shall live comfortably.”  ”All right, I will settle with you,” grunted the slave as he went away. Umar (RA) took no notice of the words.  ”I have been rebuked by a slave.” he remarked with a smile. Early next morning Umar (RA) went to the mosque as usual to lead the prayer. Abu Lolo was already hiding in the corner, with a dagger in hand. 
As soon as Umar (RA) began the prayer, the slave jumped on him. He gave six cuts with the dagger on the Caliph’s body. The horrified worshippers overpowered the assassin. Thereupon the wretch slew himself with the same dagger. Umar (RA) kept lying in a pool of blood until the prayer was over. Then he was carried home.  ”Who is my assassin?” he asked.  ”Abu Lolo,” said the people. “Allah be thanked!” said Umar (RA). “It is not a Muslim who has shed my blood.” A physician was called in to dress and treat the wounds of the Caliph. He said they were too deep to be healed. At this many people who stood around began to weep.  ”Please do not weep,” implored Umar (RA). “Have you not heard the Messenger of Allah (SAW) say that the weeping of relatives adds to the torture of the dead person?”  Finding his end in sight, Umar (RA) called his son, Abdullah. “My son,” he said, “go to Ayesha (RA). Give her Umar’s greetings. Do not refer to me as the Commander of the Faithful; for I am no longer one. Place before her my wish to be buried in her room, by the side of the Prophet (SAW) and my illustrious predecessor.” Abdullah found Ayesha (RA) weeping. He delivered his father’s message to her.  ”I wanted to reserve this spot for my own grave, but I prefer Umar (RA) to myself,” said Aisha (RA).  Abdullah conveyed Ayesha (RA) consent to his dying father.  ”Allah be thanked!” said Umar (RA). “This was the greatest wish of my life. But look, son, when you take my dead body to Ayesha’s room, again give her my greetings and ask her permission. If she allows, bury me there, otherwise bury me in the graveyard of Medina.
The people asked the dying Caliph to name the man who should fill his place. “If I do so,” said Umar (RA), “I have the example of Abu Bakr (RA) before me. But if I do not do it, there is the example of the Messenger of Allah (SAW). If Abu Obaida Jarrah had been alive, I would have nominated him. That is because I heard the Prophet of Allah (SAW) call him ‘the trustee of the people.’ Of if Hazifa’s slave, Salim, had been alive, I would have nominated him. That is because I heard the Prophet of Allah (SAW) call him ‘an ardent lover of Allah.’”  ”Nominate your own son Abdullah,” suggested someone. “Because of his learning and piety he is a very fit person.”  ”One man is enough from Khattaab family,” spoke back Umar (RA), “to answer before Allah, for the management of the affairs of Islam. If Umar can render an even account, he will feel most happy. I have borne this burden during this life. I don’t want to keep it on my shoulders after I am dead.”  When asked again about this question, he said, “There are six men. The Prophet of Allah (SAW) has foretold about their entering the kingdom of heaven. They are Ali, Uthman, Abdur Rahman bin Auf, Saad bin Abi Waqqas, Zubair bin Awwam and Talha bin Ubaidullah. I ask them to sit together and choose one of them as the Caliph. If all of them cannot agree on the name, let the vote of the majority decide on the matter.”  Umar (RA) left a will for his successor which said:  ”Fear Allah and protect the rights o the Muhajireen and the Ansar. Take from the rich and give to the poor. Treat the non-Muslims well and always keep your word.” As the end drew in sight, Umar (RA) began to weep, because of the fear of Allah. “My son,” he called out to Abdullah, “help me put my forehead on the ground.” Abdullah obeyed.  ”O Allah,” murmured the dying Caliph, “cover me with Your forgiveness. If that does not happen, woe to me and woe to the mother who bore me.” The next moment Umar (RA) was in the lap of Allah’s mercy and forgiveness. He died on Wednesday the 27th of Dhul Hijjah, 23 A.H., after lying wounded for three days. He was sixty-three at the time of death.
Some Incidents From The Life Of Umar (RA) When He Was Caliph
1) Umar (RA) was very anxious about the outcome of the battle. Each morning, he walked a few miles out of Medina and waited for the messenger of Qadisiya. One day, as he sat waiting, a camel-rider appeared in the distance.  ”Where from?” asked Umar (RA), as the man came near.  ”From Qadisiya,” came the reply, and the man kept galloping on. Umar (RA) ran by his side to keep pace and asked, “But what news have you brought?”“Allah has granted victory to the Muslims,” was the answer. Thus Umar (RA) went on running by the side of the messenger, getting more details from him. When the two reached the town, people greeted Umar (RA) as the “Commander of the Faithful”. The messenger was taken aback. He had never seen Umar (RA) before. “O Commander, of the Faithful,” he said in a low voice, “why did you not tell me who you were?”  “No harm has been done,” said Umar (RA). “Please go on with the details of your message.”
2) The rich booty from the White Palace at last reached Medina. It lay heaped in the Prophet’s Mosque. The sight of it brought tears to Umar (RA) eyes.  “There is nothing to weep at,” remarked one of the men standing near him. “I weep,” said Umar (RA), “because riches beget enmity and mutual bitterness. A nation which has these evils loses its respect.”  The booty also included the Emperor’s sword. Its handle was inlaid with jewels or rare beauty. The Caliph admired the beauty of the sword and also praised the honesty of the troops, who has kept back nothing from what had fallen into their hands. “Commander of the Faithful,” remarked Ali, “When you yourself set a lofty example of honest, why should your people not be honest?
3) On reaching Byzantium, Heraclius sent for a former prisoner of war. He had fallen in the hands of Muslims and had recently escaped.  ”What kind of people are they?” asked the Emperor.  “O Emperor,” replied the man, “they are a wonderful people. They are fearless warriors in the daytime but spend their nights in prayers. They do not get anything from the conquered people without paying for it. Wherever they go, they carry peace and justice with them. But if a people oppose them, they do not leave them alone until they give in.”  ”If they possess such magical powers,” said the Emperor, “they are sure to conquer some day the ground under my feet.”
4) The Caliph left Ali (RA) in Medina as his deputy and himself left for Jerusalem. He had only one attendant with him and only one camel to ride. Umar (RA) and the attendant rode the camel by turns. It happened to be the servant’s turn to ride on the day when they were to reach Jerusalem.“Commander of the Faithful,” said the attendant, “I give up my turn. It will look awkward, in the eyes of the people, if I ride and you lead the camel.”“Oh no,” replied Umar (RA), “I am not going to be unjust. The honor of Islam is enough for us all.”  Abu Ubaid, Khalid, Yazid and other officers of the army went some distance to receive the Caliph. All of them were wearing silk cloaks. This made Umar (RA) angry. He took some pebbles and threw them at his generals, saying, “Have you changed so much in just two years? What dress is this? Even if you had done this two hundred years from now, I would have dismissed you.”  The officers replied, “Commander of the Faithful, we are in a land where the quality of clothes worn tells the rank of a man. If we wear ordinary clothes, we will command little respect among the people. However, we are wearing our arms underneath the silken robes.”  This answer cooled down the anger of the Caliph. Next the Caliph signed the treaty of peace. It ran as follows:“From the servant of Allah and the Commander of the Faithful, Umar: The inhabitants of Jerusalem are granted security of life and property. Their churches and crosses shall be secure. This treaty applies to all people of the city. Their places of worship shall remain intact. These shall neither be taken over nor pulled down. People shall be quite free to follow their religion. They shall not be put to any trouble…”
The gates of the city were now opened. Umar (RA) went straight to the Masjid-i-Aqsa. Here he said his prayer under David’s Arch. Next he visited the biggest Christian church of the city. He was in the church when the time for the afternoon prayer came.  ”You may say your prayers in the church,” said the Bishop.  ”No,” replied Umar (RA), “if I do so, the Muslims may one day make this an excuse for taking over the church from you.” So he said his prayers on the steps of the church. Even then, he gave the Bishop in writing. It said that the steps were never to be used for congregational prayers nor was the Adhan (call to prayer) to be said there.
5) There was a great famine in Hijaz. The Caliph took steps to get food supplies from Syria and Egypt. All the same, the general suffering was widespread. Umar (RA) felt very much for his people. So much so that he swore not to touch butter and honey as long as the famine lasted.  This had a bad effect on his health. Seeing this, his servant managed to get some butter and honey with the meals on day. But Umar (RA) refused to touch them, saying, “If I do not taste suffering, how can I know the suffering of others?”

6) The Coptic’s were Christians. But they followed a savage practice. They used to hold a big festival in the early summer each year. This was a day of general merrymaking. However, the day was also marred with human sacrifice. A beautiful maiden, dressed as a bride, was thrown into the Nile. People that that the sacrifice was necessary to please the Nile, and get a big flood of water for their parched fields. If the Nile got displeased, they thought, there would be no flood and hence no crops. The Coptic’s, asked Amr (RA) permission to sacrifice a maiden as usual. He disallowed the savage act. It so happened that the Nile had very little water that year. Crops failed. Many of the peasants decided to leave the country. Amr (RA) wrote to the Caliph for advice.  The Caliph approved Amr’s (RA) action. He also sent a letter, addressed to the Nile. It said: “From the servant of Allah and Commander of the Muslims to the River of the Nile of Egypt. O Nile, if you flow of your own will, then do not flow. But if your flow is controlled by Allah, the Almighty, we pray to Him to keep you flowing.” This letter was thrown into the river, as directed by the Caliph. The river overflowed its banks that year. Such a big flood had not been seen for years. The country was once again green with crops. The peasants were happy. The savage practice of human sacrifice came to an end for ever.